What To Do If You Can’t Locate The At-Fault Driver After A Hit And Run Collision

Home $ Car Accidents $ What To Do If You Can’t Locate The At-Fault Driver After A Hit And Run Collision

Duncan Firm

Let’s suppose you’re peacefully driving on the road, following all the traffic rules, and then suddenly, a vehicle crashes into your car, leaving you injured, your car is broken, and you’re unable to work. The costs will begin to pile up quickly.

Now, the decent thing to do for the driver at fault would be to stay and report his/her name, full residential address, and insurance information to you and all the other drivers involved in the crash. However, this isn’t always the case. 

If one doesn’t comply with the above-mentioned legal obligations, penalties ranging from fines to license revocation, jail time, and criminal record pile up against them.

Despite this, some drivers still drive away without looking back. When a crasher flees the scene, it becomes a case of a hit-and-run accident. They run away because of the following reasons:

  • Lack of awareness about the accident that has happened
  • Guilty of intoxication
  • Don’t have a driver’s license
  • Don’t have insurance
  • Driving a stolen vehicle
  • Have several fines pending on their driving record

Proceeding with Your Case

With the driver at fault out of the picture, you got medical bills and repair costs piling up. In such a scenario, how should you proceed?

  • Report the accident to the police in the next 24 hours for easy proceedings.
  • See a doctor and get yourself checked for potential internal injuries.
  • No-fault auto insurance covers your lost wages, medical bills, and other related costs. This is applicable even if the driver has left the scene and his/her location cannot be traced.
  • Personal Injury Protection, “PIP” for short, in New York State provides up to $50,000 in benefits for medical costs and lost wages.
  • Uninsured Motorist (UM)/Supplementary Underinsured Motorist (SUM) compensates you for pain and suffering resulting from injuries caused by a hit-and-run driver. Get an attorney to help you identify the applicable insurance company for making an uninsured motorist or supplementary underinsured motorist.

Call Duncan Firm Today

If you need an experienced car accident attorney to negotiate with your insurance company, then Duncan Firm is the best law firm for you. We have experience of over 45 years and are always ready to take the best course of action. Our prime focus is big truck accidents, personal injury, and business cases.

Contact Us

Free Legal Consultation

Skip to content